Susan Huntsman is a director at Crowe & Dunlevy who focuses her appellate and trial practice on natural resources issues and matters affecting those in Indian country. Susan represents clients before state, federal and tribal trial courts, in addition to appellate tribunals. She also counsels clients on royalty valuation issues before the Department of the Interior Office of Natural Resources Revenue.
A former chair of the Oklahoma Bar Association Appellate Practice Section, Susan assists litigators in obtaining and preserving the best appellate results for clients. This includes assistance before and during trial with legal arguments and preservation of error, and continues through the appellate process.
Susan’s past trial work includes:
- A matter before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma where Huntsman helped secure a $4.15 million verdict
- A decision before the Tenth Circuit in a matter that clarified important issues of tribal and federal jurisdiction
- Assisting the Oklahoma Bar Foundation (OBF) before the Oklahoma Supreme Court, for which she received a President’s Award by the OBF in 2004
Susan currently serves on the committee on Admissions and Grievances and the local rules Advisory Committee for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma. She is also a member of Leadership Tulsa Class 44.
Prior to working at the firm, Susan served as law clerk to then-Chief Judge Terence C. Kern for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma. Susan graduated cum laude from Harvard Law School and is admitted to practice law in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Illinois and Wisconsin. She also holds a bachelor’s degree, summa cum laude, from the University of Arkansas.
View Printable Bio (PDF)
- Hon. Terry C. Kern, Chief Judge, United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma, Law Clerk, 1999—2000
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Hudson-Hall-Weaton Chapter of the American Inns of Court
- American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- Past Chair, Oklahoma Bar Association, Appellate Practice Section
- Committee on Admissions and Grievances, United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- Local Rules Advisory Committee (Civil Rules Subcommittee), United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America in Native American Law (2016 - Present)
- President’s Award Recipient, Oklahoma Bar Foundation, 2004
- Ranked in Chambers Band 2 (Native American)
- Leadership Tulsa, Class 44
- Chair, Community Investments Panel, Tulsa Area United Way