Shawn Dellegar is a director in the firm’s Tulsa office. His practice combines more than a decades’ experience handling complex intellectual property matters and offering a diverse business perspective to clients nationally and across the globe. His scientific research background gives Dellegar the ability to efficiently address a variety of client needs.
Dellegar counsels clients engaged in a variety of technical fields, including life sciences and chemical, food and agricultural sciences, nutraceuticals, biotechnology, petrochemical, energy field and oil well service equipment, dental devices, and mechanical and industrial devices and processes.
Dellegar assists clients with complex intellectual property matters including:
- Trade secrets
- Unfair competition
- Client counseling
- Licensing and agreements
- Global IP strategies
- Portfolio management
- Filing and prosecution
Tailored to the client’s industry and global scope, Dellegar counsels startups, small businesses and large corporations including regional craft beer brewers, food and food flavoring manufacturing companies, food distribution companies, restaurants, banking, nonprofit organizations, and universities among others.
Dellegar represents clients in proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, often moving applications through in a cost-effective and efficient manner. He also has experience obtaining domain name transfers in trademark proceedings under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy.
Career highlights include:
- Represented and advised a global consulting company for the oil and gas, mining, manufacturing, transportation, energy, construction, power distribution, petrochemical, process manufacturing, pharmaceutical or food processing industries
- Successfully defended a national food processor against patent infringement claims by a food systems manufacturer resulting in dismissal with prejudice and covenant not to sue
- Successfully defended an engineer against hired-to-invent and shop rights claims brought by a former employer
- Represented an app developer in trademark infringement claims against a competitor and obtained a favorable settlement resulting in present and future licensing revenue
Prior to serving as an intellectual property attorney, Dellegar worked for an oil and gas publishing company and a global technology support company, where he gained substantial practical experience that provided him a deeper understanding of his client’s intellectual property needs.
Dellegar earned a Juris Doctor at the University of Tulsa College of Law, where he served as vice president and a founding member of the university’s Information Technology Society. He currently serves on the law school’s alumni board of directors and mentors intellectual property law students.
View Printable Bio (PDF)
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association - Intellectual Property Law Section, Board of Directors
- American Bar Association - Intellectual Property Law Section
- International Trademark Association
- American Intellectual Property Association - Patent Law Committee, Trademark Law Committee and Industrial Designs Committee
- The International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Tulsa County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Peer-Review Rated AV - Preeminent, Martindale Hubbell
- Rising Star, Oklahoma Super Lawyers (2011-15)
- Best Lawyers - Copyright Law (2017)
- IP Star, Managing Intellectual Property
- Achievers Under 40, The Journal Record (2017)
- Co-author, Identification of the Factors Affecting the Rate and Deactivation of Hypochlorous Acid by Melatonin, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications (1999)
- Trademark and Unfair Competition, University of Arkansas Introduction to Food Law FDSC 3203
- Due Diligence - Intellectual Property Considerations for Mergers and Acquisitions, Tulsa County Bar Association (2010)
- President, Carnegie Elementary Foundation (2016-Present)
- Alumni Board of Directors, University of Tulsa College of Law (2013-Present)
- Intellectual Property Mentor, University of Tulsa College of Law (2013-Present)
- President, Lambda Chi Alpha Corporation (2012-Present)
- Bull-Pen Mentor, The Forge Business-Incubation Program (2013-Present)