Harvey Ellis’ practice involves complex procedural issues in addition to a litigation portfolio which focuses on litigation requirements and strategy, business disputes of numerous kinds, constitutional issues, and legal ethics. In conjunction with his civil litigation practice, Harvey has written extensively on practice and procedure affecting Oklahoma practitioners in both state and federal courts. His work includes co-authoring two major Oklahoma procedural treatises and numerous legal articles, among other things. He has participated as counsel in cases resulting in more than 40 published state appellate opinions and more than 25 published federal appellate opinions.
Harvey was a member of the committee appointed by the Oklahoma Supreme Court in 1994 to substantially revise the court's procedural rules, and has served on the Oklahoma Bar Association Civil Procedure Committee (1994-1996) and Local Rules Committee for the United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma (2009-present).
Since 2003, Harvey has been chairman of Crowe & Dunlevy’s Ethics Committee, advising the members of his firm regarding professional responsibility. He has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, in Appellate Law (2007-2017), in Super Lawyers (2011-2017) and in 2017 was ranked in Chambers USA Band 3 (Litigation: General Commercial). In 2018, Harvey was selected as a fellow member of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers (AAAL), a national, limited member association founded in 1990 whose stated purpose is to advance the administration of justice and promote the highest standards of professionalism and advocacy in appellate courts.
Harvey is a member of the bars of the State of Oklahoma; each of the three federal districts in Oklahoma; the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth, Ninth, Tenth and Federal Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court.
Harvey earned his Juris Doctor, graduating secundum cum laude and with honors, from the University of Oklahoma College of Law.
View Printable Bio (PDF)
- Hayes v. Central State Orthopedic Specialists, Inc., 2002 OK 30, 51 P.3d 562
- Board of Regents of University of Oklahoma v. N.C.A.A., 546 F. Supp. 1276 (W.D. Okla. 1982), aff'd in part remanded in part, 707 F.2d 1147 (10th Cir. 1983), aff'd, 468 U.S. 85 (1984)
- In Matter of College Football Association and Capital Cities/ABC, Inc., No. 9242, 5 CCH Trade Reg. Rptr. 23631 (1994)
- Silkwood v. KerrMcGee Corp., 485 F.Supp. 566 (W.D.Okla. 1979), aff'd in part rev'd in part, 667 F.2d 908 , (10th Cir. 1981), rev'd, 464 U.S. 238 (1984), rehearing denied, 465 U.S. 1074 (1984), on remand to, 769 F.2d 1451 (10th Cir. 1985), cert. denied, 476 U.S. 1104 (1986)
- Ethics Commission of State of Oklahoma v. Cullison, 1993 OK 37, 850 P.2d 1069
- American Petrofina Co. of Texas v. Nance, 697 F.Supp. 1183 (W.D. Okla. 1986), aff'd, 859 F.2d 840 (10th Cir. 1988)
- Ruyle v. Continental Oil Co., 44 F.3d 837 (10th Cir. 1994), cert. denied, 516 U.S. 906 (1995)
- Prudential Property & Casualty Co. v. Grimes, 1986 OK 32, 725 P.2d 1246
- Federal Land Bank of Wichita v. Story, 1988 OK 52, 756 P.2d 588
- Berry v. State ex rel. Oklahoma Public Employees Retirement System, 1989 OK 14, 768 P.2d 898
- Homeland Stores, Inc. v. Resolution Trust Corp., 17 F.3d 1269 (10th Cir. 1994), cert. denied, 513 U.S. 928 (1994)
- F.D.I.C. v. Liberty National Bank & Trust Co., 806 F.2d 961 (10th Cir. 1986)
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Civil Procedure Committee, Oklahoma Bar Association (1994 - 2000)
- Member of Western District of Oklahoma Local Rules Committee
Honors & Awards
- Graduated Secundum Cum Laude from University of Oklahoma College of Law
- Oklahoma Law Review, Judiciary Committee and Editorial Advisor
- Recipient, National Association of Legal Assistants Founder's Award for work on Amicus Curiae Brief, 2002
- Recipient, Attorney of the Year by Central Oklahoma Association of Legal Assistants, 2002
- The Best Lawyers in America in Appellate Practice, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants (2008 - Present)
- Ranked in Chambers USA Band 3 (litigation: general commercial)
- "Oklahoma's Collateral Order Doctrine? The Appealability of Pre-Judgment Orders After Hammonds" (co-author Alison Howard)
- "The New Oklahoma Supreme Court Rules," 67 Oklahoma Bar Journal 3991 (1996)
- "The 1991 Repeal of the 1990 Judgments and Appeals Act," 62 OKLAHOMA BAR JOURNAL 2793 (1991)
- "Constitutional Law: The Death Penalty: A Critique of the Philosophical Bases Held to Satisfy the Eighth Amendment Requirements for its Justification," 34 Oklahoma Law Review 567 (1981)
- Oklahoma Appellate Practice (Thomson West )(co-author with Clyde Muchmore)
- Oklahoma Civil Procedure Forms and Practice (2nd Ed. Lexis Publishing) (co-author with Clyde Muchmore)
- Speaker, "Appealable Decisions and Computing Appeal Time," Oklahoma Bar Association Appellate Procedure in Oklahoma State and Federal Courts CLE, October 25, 2013, Oklahoma City, OK
- Speaker, "What You Can Do Before and During Trial to Improve Your Chances of Success on Appeal," Oklahoma Bar Association Annual Meeting, November 3, 2016, Oklahoma City, OK