Matthew Hickey is a director in the business department and chair of the firm’s Taxation and Nonprofit/Charitable Foundations Practice Groups. Additionally, he serves as a member of the Private Wealth & Closely-Held Business and Employee Benefits & ERISA Practice Groups, assisting a variety of business and individual clients with tax, transactional, wealth-transfer, tax-exemption and retirement plan issues.
Matthew has been named by Chambers USA as Up-and-Coming in 2017 and ranked in corporate/commercial: tax since 2010.* He has been included in Oklahoma Super Lawyers magazine and Best Lawyers for taxation since 2013.*
Matthew obtained his Master of Laws in taxation from the New York University School of Law. During this time, Matthew served as a student editor for the Tax Law Review. A graduate with highest honors from the University of Oklahoma College of Law, Matthew also served as editor-in-chief of the Oklahoma Law Review.
Matthew’s publications include an Oklahoma Law Review article, “Oklahoma Advance Directive Act, 63 Okla. Stat 3101: Denying Choice to Those Who Cannot Choose – A Proposal for Legislative and Practical Alternatives,” and several articles for local newspapers.
Active in the community, Matthew volunteers coaching YMCA sports, participating in activities and fundraisers for Edmond Public Schools and serving at Henderson Hills Baptist Church. Before attending law school, Matthew earned his bachelor of arts in bible and theology from Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois, where he was a recipient of a National Merit scholarship.
*Crowe & Dunlevy has no input in the rating methodologies used by Oklahoma Super Lawyers magazine, Best Lawyers or Chambers USA.
View Printable Bio (PDF)
Professional Associations & Memberships
Honors & Awards
- Top 20 Under 40, Business Times of Edmond (2016)
- Ranked for corporate/commercial: tax (2010-2017) and Up-and-Coming (2017), Chambers USA
- The Best Lawyers in America in Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Tax Law (2013-Present)
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers (2013-2017)
- Speaker, "A Day in the Life of a Hospital Administrator: Tax Issues," 25th Annual Crowe & Dunlevy Healthcare Update (April 2015)
- Speaker, "Legal Update: Trust Preferred Securities," Oklahoma Bankers Association Leadership Forum and Annual Convention (May 2015)
- Speaker, "Diving into the Details: Affordable Care Act and Employee Benefits Issues," 26th Annual Crowe & Dunlevy Healthcare Update (May 2016)